Patricia Craig Johnson --- Searching for My Ancestors --- Sharing My Life Stories

Total Pageviews

Monday, August 13, 2007

Sarah Bannon Ferguson Liggett Harris - Daughter of Elizabeth Van Buskirk

The discovery of Sarah Bannon being married first to a Ferguson led me on a merry chase. But, it made sense. David Ferguson (age 14) is living with Sarah and Thomas Liggett in 1850. In 1860 David Ferguson and wife Felicity McKinny are living in Salem, Auglaize Co Ohio -- and Nancy Jane Bannon is living in their household! Nancy Jane is the daughter of John Bannon and she is Sarah Bannon's niece, and David Ferguson's cousin! The families are definitely tied together which leads me to believe my theory is correct about Elizabeth Van Buskirk's children.

Finally, on Saturday, August 11 I found the record that made me a "very happy camper". The marriage of Isaac Ferguson and Sarah Bannon in Pickaway Co Ohio on 20 Jun 1834. Her son, David was born 06 September 1835 in Pickaway Co Ohio. On the 1840 Mercer Co OH census Isaac and Sarah have two little boys age <5>. Obviously, one of the little boys died before 1850.

The life of Sarah Bannon has been very interesting to follow. When she went to Warren Co Indiana, I am not sure. Did Thomas Liggett die before she migrated west? Her half brother, William Davis, was in Warren Co Indiana by 1850, so perhaps that was why she went there. At any rate, she married Charles Trussell Harris there in 1864. In 1870 she is with Charles in June, with her two youngest sons, William and John G Liggett. At some time, after June, in 1870 she left Charles T Harris as he posted a notice in the Warren Republican to announce that he was no longer responsible for her debts -- that his wife had left him!

On 31 March 1871, Sarah quit claimed her 1/7th part of the last 7th part of John Van Buskirk's farm in Madison Co Indiana. The deed says she was of Warren Co Indiana at that time. I have not found where she went after that. I have not found when or where she died. Charles T Harris has a wife named Sarah in 1880 -- but she is 10 years younger than Sarah Bannon.

I am convinced I will find out more about Sarah. For now I am content to have found information about her marriages and her sons. She had David Ferguson, Henry M Liggett, William Liggett, and John G Liggett. These men all moved in connection with other family members, the Bannons and Davises. They seemed to keep in touch and help each other.
Stay tuned for further updates to this family!!

No comments:

Labels