Patricia Craig Johnson --- Searching for My Ancestors --- Sharing My Life Stories

Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Obediah Smith's Will ---- 1797 Sussex Co Delaware

Following is the reply to Lisa about Obediah's will.

Lisa,
The will of Obediah Smith is very hard to read and my scanner would not do it very well. So I quickly read the will and will give you the highlights. Obediah Smith writes:
1. Whereas I have this day made a Division Line of my dwelling - plantation and all my land lying continguous thereto - which is in the Northwest Hundred in the county aforesaid. Then the usual "from a white scrub oak" etc, etc, etc.
2. I give and bequeath to my son Jobe Smith all my land lying on the westermost side of said Division Line (after Jobe's decease to his grandson Obediah Smith)
3. I give and bequeath to my two young daughters Sarah Smith and Elizabeth Smith all my lands lying on the eastermost side of the aforesaid Division Line (to be divided equally, etc etc)
4. To Sarah Smith one boy named Lige
5. To Elizabeth one boy named Sam
6. To my daughter Margaret Clifton that tract of land called Pine Grove situate to the southside of Nanticoke River. After her decease to her sons Jobe Clifton and Smith Clifton. (Note from Pat Johnson: I think Smith Clifton is the Obediah Clifton later found in the censuses of Sussex Co DE)
7. To Margaret Clifton's four children, Benjamin, Judah, Charles and John 5 pounds each
8. To little daughters Sarah and Elizabeth two featherbeds
9. To granddaughter Priscilla Smith 10 pounds
10. The rest equally divided to granddaughter Mary Jones wife of Matthew Jones and Elizabeth Nicolls wife of William Nicolls and my son Jobe Smith's four children.
11. Co-executors: my son Jobe Smith and my wife Stacey Smith
Written 30 Oct 1794
Witnesses:
Olive Jump; Thomas Stafford; Priscilla Stafford

Testamentary bond signed 15 Mar 1796 by Job Smith, Stacey Smith; Benjamin Clifton: John Stafford

Appraisers appointed 26 Jun 1796: Olive Jump and an unreadable name (possibly _____ Jacobe)

It looks like the final settlement is dated 11 Apr 1797 signed by Joseph Kelley and his wife Eustacy Kelley (nee Smith)

Please let me know if there are any further clues in this data. I found an Obediah Smith as executor of a will in Dorcester Co MD for Rachel Kelley/Killey in 1771. This was the result of a Google search.

I see that you believe Obediah Smith's father was a Job Smith? Any idea who Obediah's wife is, or mother? Any help there would be wonderful as I have just started on this family. --- that is if you think it is the same Obediah of North West Hundred, Sussex Co DE.

Until 1803 Benjamin Clifton is on the tax lists of Broad Creek Hundred and the Nanticoke River runs thru there, so I am assuming he is on the land left to Margaret by Obediah in 1794. Sometime between 1803 (the last tax list I have at present) and 1807 (when daughter Juda marries John VanBuskirk) Benjamin and Margaret go to Ross Co Ohio (in that part that became Pickaway Co). There is a Margaret Clifton, a pauper, age 100, in Pickaway Co OH in 1850. Seems she outlived almost her entire family, although Obediah Clifton is still alive in 1850 in Sussex Co DE.

At any rate I hope this is enough to help you. Any news of the results of your study would be appreciated. Do you think Obediah Smith came from Long Island, NY originally? Or perhaps went to Connectocut due to the British burning of the American's properties on Long Island?

Oh, if I could only talk to them for 1/2 an hour!!
Pat Johnson

No comments:

Labels