Patricia Craig Johnson --- Searching for My Ancestors --- Sharing My Life Stories

Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 13, 2009

My New Neighborhood -- Old Town Fort Collins


Imagine --- I walk 1/2 block from my apartment and see the scenes shown here. I was getting cabin fever this evening and since we are having a spell of mild weather I decided to go out for a walk in the "neighborhood". After a day of watching football (the Broncos lost), doing some catch up on paperwork and DAR work I needed to get some fresh air. I bundled up and headed to College Avenue. Remington Street (my street) is one block east of College Avenue. The trees on College are lit with white led lights that make them look frosty and beautiful. It is a subtle image. Not in your face Christmasy at all. Just a picture postcard look.


For those unfamiliar with Fort Collins, Colorado, it has one of the most active downtown areas in the region. No matter the time of day, there are people. Most are just walking and looking in the store windows -- just as I did tonight. Many are in restaurants and bars. I believe eating is the main hobby in Fort Collins. There is a restaurant on every corner with several in between.


I met a lady (also named Pat) that lives at the Plaza and we stood and chatted for a while. She was on her way home from playing poker at Elliott's Mess, one of the local restaurants. I have met so many nice people since I moved to the Plaza. After we parted I walked on past the Aggie Theatre. It is an old main street movie theater left from the days of movies being the most popular form of entertainment -- like back in the ancient times of the 50's and 60's. Aggie Theater has been converted into a live music theater -- and it is definitely music for the younger generation, sort of described as "funky." The customers/fans were lined up to get in when I walked past, and believe me, they look very very young --- like babies to me.


The store windows were fun to look in, and I stopped at the Christian Science Reading Room and read their Christmas message. I thought of my mom, as she manned the Christian Science Reading Room in Scottsbluff, Nebraska. I only wish I had her strong faith. Mom was not ever a half hearted person. She went all the way in her belief and anything else she undertook. I miss her.


Finally, I was on Mountain Avenue and decided to head back to the Plaza. When I came in my apartment I felt a sense of coming home, so I guess you could say I am getting adjusted here. There are times I am sad, but I have so much to be grateful for that it passes quickly. I live in a vibrant, beautiful city and a safe and secure home. I am so very lucky. After watching "Its A Wonderful Life" last night, I feel very grateful to have met and touched and been touched by so many wonderful people. I expect there are many more waiting on the horizon. patj


2 comments:

Renate Yarborough Sanders said...

Pat, the pictures are great and your description of the scenes from your walk made me feel that I was right there with you.
Wishing you blessings in your new life.
Happy holidays!
Renate

Jenna said...

Your photos are beautiful! Thanks for sharing I enjoyed your post!

Labels