Patricia Craig Johnson --- Searching for My Ancestors --- Sharing My Life Stories

Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 6, 2010

11 Miles From My Neighborhood














This morning to decided to not play Poker this afternoon, but instead I would fix me a picnic lunch and grab my camera and hit the open road. Because Watson Lake is one of my favorite places, that was where I wanted to go. Its a short 11 miles from my Old Town apartment and it is amazing how in that short distance I can be removed from the activity of Fort Collins.

Watson Lake is off of Rist Canyon Road and on the other side of LaPorte. As soon as I turned off Rist Canyon Road the quiet and peacefulness was all around me. Its not a large lake, but it is so beautiful and lots of ducks and geese make it home. They are so used to people there were three of them that sat under my picnic table and never even moved. Of course, there was also the hope I would drop some food. Poor things, little did they know that all I had was my salad and a couple of corn thins. I think my lunch companion is quite handsome, don't you agree?


It was so nice to sit in the shade, feel the cool breeze, and enjoy the sounds, smells and sights of the lakeshore. There were mostly fishermen around the banks, but a few families having picnic lunches. Watson Lake is a man made lake and it sits in a pretty "bowl" surrounded by beautiful red rock cliffs. The Poudre River was rapidly moving on the eastern edge of the area. Normally, the Poudre is a quiet river but today the snowmelt had it running fast and furious. There have already been a couple of casualties from "tubers" that underestimated the swift current.

I messed around with my camera and took a couple of "self timed pix" of myself. Unfortuantely, my camera seems to always take dark pictures. It is probably a setting I have messed up, but I don't know how to fix it. I hope you enjoy the pix in spite of it.


I enjoyed my vegan lunch and relaxed enjoying the scenery. A young couple came and the young lady visited with me for a minute. I finally left and went west to Bellvue and then up over Bingham Hill Road. It is so gorgeous up there and the view from the top is fantastic. Looking down from the top a person can certainly understand where the name, Pleasant Valley, came from. At the bottom as you travel west, is the spot where the French trappers cached their gun powder and thus the name, Cache la Poudre.


All in all, it was a perfect day. I am blessed beyond anything I deserve, but I will take it as long as I can. Life is good! patj


No comments:

Labels