Patricia Craig Johnson --- Searching for My Ancestors --- Sharing My Life Stories

Total Pageviews

Monday, June 25, 2012

John Albert Windle 1875-1933


This engaging young man is one of my maternal great grandfathers, John Albert Windle. He was born 25 September 1875 in Creston, Union County, Iowa.

 His daughter, Hazel Belle Windle married Ralph O. Cary and their oldest child was my mother.

John Albert Windle's birth place of Union County Iowa is documented in the 1895 Pottawattamie County Iowa Census, 3rd Ward. Printed page 385, written page 72. He was 19 on January 1, 1895.

His death date of 19 March 1933 is from his obituary in the Council Bluffs Nonpareil 20 Mar 1933.


His middle name of Albert was found in his WWI registration record. It is also written on the back of the baby photo.  He was known mostly as John A.  At first I thought the writing on the back of the picture was that of my grandmother, but upon closer examination there is a noticeable difference from my grandmother's writing. It could be the writing of John Albert's mother Lydia McNeil Windle.  At any rate I am grateful someone wrote the details.

John's marriage 25 December 1895 to Lizzie I Casey is from the Pottawattamie Co Iowa marriage records.  Lizzie was the daughter of Eugene and Jencene Casey and Lizzie was a year older than her husband.  She and John had three children, Hazel Belle (1896), Harry (1898) and Frances (1903).
 
I remember Grandma Windle (Lizzie) because she lived with her daughter, Hazel, my grandmother. John A Windle died two years before I was born.  Grandma Windle did not appear to be a happy person and her marriage to John Windle probably contributed to this state of mind.  Or perhaps it was her unhappy disposition that caused their divorce. 
 
John Windle left Ottumwa, Iowa and his family and returned to Council Bluffs.  There he married another lady named Esther and had another son named Harold.  I know nothing about this side of his life.
 
I believe my grandmother, Hazel Windle Cary had good relations with the Windle family as she went to her grandparents 50th wedding anniversary in 1924.  Her grandparents were Abraham and Lydia McNeil Windle.  
 
As I look at the baby picture taken in 1876 I wonder if, in our high tech world, any of our digital photos will be in this condition after 136 years.  And to think that this picture was taken the year George Armstrong Custer met his match on the hills above the Little Big Horn River. 




  

No comments:

Labels