Patricia Craig Johnson --- Searching for My Ancestors --- Sharing My Life Stories

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Retire From Doing Genealogy Programs? Maybe Not Yet

June 5, 2012 happened to be the hottest day so far this summer. As I traveled to Boulder, Colorado to present a program to the Boulder Genealogical Society, I was sort of in a grumpy mood. It was hot, it was very windy, I don't have air conditioning, I was way to early, I was in heavy traffic, looking for a place I had never been before, etc, etc, etc.  I turned west at Baseline Road and Highway 287. With only a small hook in Baseline Road at Cherryvale, I had a straight shot to Mohawk Drive, my next destination.

The Boulder Genealogical Society meets at the Mountain View Methodist Church. I found the Church easy enough and had time to get somewhat put back together before I went in the south entrance.

Hmmmmmm, the basement was deserted and dark. Finally a lady came and I asked where the Genealogical Society meets and she said, "In that room", but it was dark and no one was here yet. She was surprised and I was wondering why I had put myself through this. As I said, I was a bit grumpy today anyway. The lady and I got busy setting the chairs and tables up for the meeting. Finally, folks started arriving, and helped set the room up. This group has a class before the meeting so I sat through that and finally at 7:40 I was able to set up my computer and their projector for my program.

At 8pm I finally started my presentation. Then the whole atmosphere changed and I was in a good mood. Once I start talking about DAR or genealogy I am a happy camper, and this program combines those subjects. The audience was very attentive, asked good questions and I had a good time. As I was gathering my equipment for the trip home, several ladies came after the program with specific DAR questions and I always enjoy answering those.

Surprisingly, people were quite interested in my being a contributor to the Kentucky Ancestors magazine. I have added that to my bio that the program person uses to introduce me. It is fun to talk about Kentucky, another of my favorite subjects.   I have to say it was a most enjoyable evening, once I cooled off and cooled down.

As I opened the door to go out, the fresh mountain air swept over me and I was totally renewed.  The world was beautiful and the air felt so good, as it can only feel in Boulder, Colorado.  When I first moved to Colorado in 1971, I lived in Longmont and I would go to Boulder because I loved the town and I loved the air.  It has always been different there, and I can not explain it.  Last night I felt that same feeling about the mountain air.

I drove home to Fort Collins with the windows down, the radio on, and enjoying the whole trip.  I started out the afternoon feeling lousy, and ended up feeling great.

On my trip to Boulder, I told myself, "I am going to retire from public speaking." I thought that maybe I would start knitting or some other pursuit with less chance of frustration -- but by the time the evening ended, I had changed my mind.  I will keep going as long as anyone asks me to speak.  Why?  Because I enjoy it.  And maybe because I am a "ham" at heart.  

So, I am a believer in what Abraham Lincoln said, " People are about as happy as they have a mind to be".  Today I was a perfect example of this in action.  Life is so good and so complex, I am forever grateful for it all, grumpiness included.

Patj

No comments:

Labels