Patricia Craig Johnson --- Searching for My Ancestors --- Sharing My Life Stories

Total Pageviews

Friday, December 19, 2008

Merry Christmas --- 2008


This joyous season reminds me that I have so many things to be grateful for. I have so many wonderful memories of past Christmases, and that is something I will have forever. Remembering my "little girls" as they looked forward to Christmas presents and shopping and wrapping gifts and baking cookies and so many other things we did so long ago. I would start about in September putting things on layaway. As the Christmas deadline approached I would worry that I would not be able to get it all paid for in time. This was in the "dark ages" when people didn't have credit cards, debit cards, or much money at all. Although, I was known to put gifts on the payment plan at Alden's Catalog (g). I can remember our little Trixie (the world's smartest dog) as she would help in the gift opening routine. As she got older she lost interest in such stuff, but as a young dog with little girls to take care of she enjoyed the fun. Trixie lived to be nineteen years old and was Cindy's constant companion from when Cindy was age three to well after Cindy and Don were married.


One tradition we always tried to do was drive around and look at Christmas lights. I remember the first time we took Laurie on this adventure. She was about six months old and I looked over at her little face staring in wonder at the beautiful Christmas lights. Her eyes were as wide as a baby's eyes can be. I wouldn't take a million dollars for these memories. The times were tough, just like now, but with memories to fall back on it seems like it was just fine.


Later memories include my grandsons, my precious granddaughter and now a great grandson. It was fun to buy things for them and see the joy of them opening their presents. I can only pray that they have good memories to cling to, just like I do. It is what God gave us for a very special Christmas present -- the ability to remember and keep forever what we want to keep and discard what we don't.


I took so for granted the people that are now gone. They are not forgotten though, because they are locked in my memories. Christmas conjurs up all kinds of memories. From when I was a "little girl" to now, that I am a "seventy something". My brother, my parents, my grandparents, my aunts and uncles all live on in the far reaches of my mind and they are there, safe and sound. Merry Christmas to all of you --- and to all of them. patj

No comments:

Labels