Patricia Craig Johnson --- Searching for My Ancestors --- Sharing My Life Stories

Total Pageviews

Friday, July 22, 2011

My Brother, David V Craig 1939-1980



On July 25, 2011 my brother would have been 72 years old. Impossible!! I can not even imagine it. That is the way it is with people that die young. I can't imagine Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, John Lennon, or JFK being old either. Death stops that from ever happening and they stay young forever.


David was on this planet for 40 years and they were years filled with love, a little sadness, and the usual life's events. These pictures are of David as a young boy. Clockwise from the top they are: David at age about 8 or 9 when we first moved to Scottsbluff, Nebraska; David in about 6th Grade in Gering Nebraska after our mother married L.L. Evelyn; David taken on December 8, 1941 in Fort Worth, Texas, the day after the Pearl Harbor Attack, this picture has my mom's notation written on the back; David in 1942 when we lived in Tillamook, Oregon during WWII.


He was a very lovable and popular child as folks took to him immediately. He had a natural way of relating to all kinds of people, young and old alike. He inherited a special ability to make all kinds of people comfortable. Our dad, Gerald V Craig had that same talent. We were separated for about a year during 1945 and ever after that we didn't take too many things for granted. He was the light of my mother's life -- and everyone else that met him. Truly an unforgettable person, and I consider it a privilege to have been his sister.


I have to tell you, I was a very bossy and dictatorial older sister. David grew up minding me as I was responsible for him and I took that very seriously. That is until we got older, then it was me that was asking for help and wisdom. And he was always good to give me advice that was very sensible.


David will never be forgotten as long as I am alive. He was such an important part of my life. I regret that my descendants didn't get the chance to know him.


Until later, Patj

No comments:

Labels