Patricia Craig Johnson --- Searching for My Ancestors --- Sharing My Life Stories

Total Pageviews

Friday, October 21, 2011

Visiting Broomfield Colorado On October 20, 2011

Today was an absolutely perfect Colorado fall day. I was scheduled to present the program at the Broomfield Genealogical Society this evening and left early to travel the 55 miles south. I drove south to Broomfield on Highway 287 and it was a beautiful drive. Of course, I-25 would have been faster, but I was in no hurry as I am always way too early anyway. I would much rather enjoy the scenery than get pushed down the Interstate by a horde of cars.

What a pleasant drive it was. I couldn't help but think back to when these towns were separated by empty areas. Not any more though, as things have been built in between reminding me of the Southern California area where one town subtley fades into the next town. I am not being critical at all, because things can't ever stay the same. Not in towns and not in lives, either. I try to stay flexible about change, because to get stuck in one way of thinking is not good mentally.









In September I spoke at the Laramie, Wyoming Genealogical Society and drove Highway 287 north. Today I drove the southern part of the same highway. I enjoyed both landscapes, different as they are.

The Broomfield Genealogical Society meets at the Mamie Doud Eisenhower Library in Community Park. Mamie was a Colorado native and was a good ambassador for the State.

The attendees were very nice and friendly and we had the best time talking about the DAR Genealogical Research System. It was not to be a DAR Membership Drive, but of course, that seemed to be the main interest and a great deal of the questions were about how to join DAR. I never tire of talking about DAR, or the American Revolution, so it was a very enjoyable evening for me.

I was pleased that several men were in attendance as well. One gentleman said he has actually used the GRS. It is a great genealogical tool, for sure.

As you already know, I am compulsively early for every speaking engagement and today was no exception. Fortunately I am usually speaking in a Library or close to one. Today, at the Mamie Doud Eisenhower Library I had time to look at a book about the Gettysburg Address. Having just finished reading "Killer Angels" about the Battle of Gettysburg it caught my attention. The Gettysburg Address is a favorite story of mine. I smile when I read of how Abraham Lincoln could say so much in 272 words. I try to follow that example and not use too many words to tell my message. No one can equal Abraham Lincoln, but it's a worthy goal to be like him.

I love the short note Edward Everett sent to the President the day after the dedication of the Gettysburg National Cemetery. "I should be glad if I could flatter myself that I came as near to the actual idea of the occassion in 2 hours as you did in 2 minutes."

I certainly did enjoy my visit to Broomfield. To see the progress that is happening is amazing, and of course, the beautiful scenery can't be beat. It was a treat to see Boulder Flatirons in the distance as the one picture shows us. The Mamie Doud Eisenhower Library is a beautiful facility and it was a pleasure to speak there. The people were extremely nice and the conversation was great.

Until next time, patj

No comments:

Labels