Patricia Craig Johnson --- Searching for My Ancestors --- Sharing My Life Stories

Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Abraham Lincoln And His Team of Rivals


If you think you know everything about Abraham Lincoln, everything about the Civil War, everything about the Emancipation Proclamation, think again.  This book reveals so much about the behind the scenes events and happenings of our 16th President.  Abraham Lincoln is my biggest hero so I am naturally prejudiced when it come to him.  After reading this book I am even more of a fan of his.  He was definitely one of those rare indivduals that was born with a unique brain and personality.  We are all unique, of course, but sometimes there is a person above all others, and Abraham Lincoln was that. The beginning of the book described the early political life of Lincoln -- and his political rivals.  For a short time I felt it was sort of dull and uninteresting, but as I continued, I started seeing the overall picture and it became fascinating as I learned of the various personalities and egos of these men.  Lincoln was so incredibly wise, and knew human nature so well, that it seems like a well orchestrated symphony as he managed and soothed and controlled the many personalities of his Cabinet.

If I had to pick one thing I liked about this book, it would be the way I learned more about a humble, competant, brilliant and good man.  Of course, it doesn't take much for me to love Abraham Lincoln, but this book gave me insight I had not known of before.

The biggest compliment I can give is, "As the book neared the end, I read slower and slower because I didn't want it to end.  I am a naturally slow reader, but I was almost at a standstill at the end."

If you have a chance to read Team of Rivals I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  I especially want to recommend the last few paragraphs of the book and the story of Leo Tolstoy's experience.  It is very telling of the world view of Abraham Lincoln.
Patj




No comments:

Labels