Patricia Craig Johnson --- Searching for My Ancestors --- Sharing My Life Stories

Total Pageviews

Friday, September 25, 2015

Six Years Later -- I Am Still Here

September 25, 2009.  At just after midnight John Edwin Johnson passed away at this place.  This is a picture from his room at the Blue Grouse Nursing Home (aka RNRC).  It was slightly raining as I drove to the home after getting the call at about 12:30 am.  A cool, crisp night, and quiet as it could ever be in Fort Collins, Colorado.  So many unknown things ahead, but for the moment it was clear what I had to do.  Go to say goodbye to my best friend.  The little nightlight I had taken to his room was the only light in the room and it looked as if he was peacefully sleeping.  It was hard to believe he was not there anymore, he looked so natural.

When I left about 8pm the night before we planned our activity for the next day.  We were going to figure out how to get him out of that place and decide where to go next.  So when I left he felt optimistic.  I told him I loved him and his last words to me were, "I love you too, and I always have." As I walked away, the words stayed on my mind.  They implied something very special.  To me it said that even before we met 26 years earlier he had loved me.  That is how I remember it and I am sticking to my story and the meaning of it.  Cohorts to the end.  Ready to tackle another tough case.

Many things have changed for me in these 6 years.  I have passed a big milestone in age.  I have moved two times.  I have been in a serious accident.  I have learned many new skills.  But always, in the back of my mind my favorite "cohort in crime" is beside me all the way.  I feel blessed to have that to count on.

I can't answer for what John has been doing in the last 6 years.  But knowing him as well as I do, I am sure it has been an adventure supreme.  Seeing family and friends --- and watching out for me as well.  So farewell once again to my best friend.  RILYA Patj


No comments:

Labels