Patricia Craig Johnson --- Searching for My Ancestors --- Sharing My Life Stories

Total Pageviews

Friday, December 3, 2010

An Unusual Combo -- The Mormon Taberbnacle Choir and the USS Rattletrap

I have been concentrating on finding my American Revolutionary Patriot #30. Mathias Morton was #29 and that is not a number to keep forever. I just don't like the sound of it. On Thursday December 2, 2010 I suddenly found #30!  I had copied a list from a book in Cheyenne about a John Gouldin being a Virginia soldier of the American Revolution.  For many years I researched the Goulden family and have documented back to a John Goulden born about 1775 in Virginia.  I always felt his father would lead to another patriot -- but I had no idea what his name may be or where he was from in Virginia.  However, I have learned that if I don't copy a find -- I will never find it again so I copy everything!!  That's why I have a vested interest in the paper companies.  The list I copied had a source listed and since I am going to SLC soon I decided to see if I could track down that source and possibly find it there. Yes, I tracked down the source and sure enough SLC has it, but in addition to this I learned what this John Gouldin did in the American Revolution.  He was a MARINE in 1778 and sailed down the Ohio River to the Mississippi River to New Orleans on the ship the USS Rattletrap.  The Marines were founded in 1775 and disbanded 1783 but then reinstituted later in our history.  But one thing for sure, these First Marines were definitely roughnecks el primo. They were a  force to be dealt with and raised havoc all the way south to New Orleans.  I still have to prove he had a son named John born about 1775  -- but I know in my heart that he is my Marine. However, I had to stop finding info about him and get ready to go to the Larimer County Genealogical Society Christmas Dinner at 4:30.  So John Gouldin was able to rest as I had to leave him alone for awhile.

I traveled south to Loveland and the Dinner was a very enjoyable evening and there were many friends to visit with and the dinner was delicious.  Then the program began.  It was a DVD made in Salt Lake City at the NGS Conference last summer.  We were treated to a feature about the Granite Mountain where the millions of rolls of microfilm are stored for safety and duration. That is an amazing place. I would love to work there.  Next were interviews about what genealogy means to people and two told their stories.  They were very moving stories.  The one I liked best was about the lady that wrote "The Battle Hymn of the Republic". Her great great great grandson told her story -- then the Momon Tabernacle Choir began to sing the song and it was breathtakingly beautiful.  The room was quiet as we sat entranced by the beautiful sound.  I suddenly thought about the fact that I was probably the only Mormon in the room and I was filled with an almost sinful pride.

What an unusual mix of things happened today that made it a very special day for me.  I feel blessed beyond words for my life and all the folks I know and love -- and of course, my ancestors and ancestresses.   patj

No comments:

Labels