Patricia Craig Johnson --- Searching for My Ancestors --- Sharing My Life Stories

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Andrew Workman Will Allegany County, Maryland 1811/1812

I know it is impossible to read, but this is a great find. It is the will of Andrew Workman of Allegany County, Maryland.  Andrew is the father of Jane (Jean) Workman who married JohnVan Buskirk on 30 June 1793.  Jane was his first wife and my ancestress Juda Clifton was his second wife.  Jane was the mother of Michael and Elizabeth Van Buskirk.  Yes, for those that remember, this is the Elizabeth Van Buskirk I found was John's unknown child.

I received this will from a fellow Van Buskirk descendant. I will tell you what it says (a short version that is).  Andrew Workman of Allegany County, Maryland wrote his will on 20 Sep 1811 and it was probated 31 Oct 1812.  In it he appoints his son, William and his wife Margaret to administer his properties. He ordered that his son William give Peter and Christina and Caty a share of fifty dollars.  The other one hundred dollars to be divided between Eleanor and Andrew his youngest son.  He commanded that Andrew receive good schooling.  He left nothing to daughters, Hester Ciely or Jean Van Buskirk because they were deceased by 1811. (JohnVan Buskirk married Juda Clifton in 1807).  Andrew did say that if their heirs claimed their lawful share that it was to be paid by William Workman.

So Andrew Workman had the following children: William, Hester, Jean (Jane), Peter, Christina, Caty, Eleanor, Peter and Andrew.  It is found in Allegany County, Maryland Will Book A page 112.  This should be very exciting data for descendants of Andrew Workman.

Thanks to Kathy for sharing this find, and allowing me to post it on my blog.

No comments:

Labels